Students can be dropped off for in the morning at 7:50am, the late bell is 8:00am. Breakfast is served in the cafeteria starting at 7:45am. School is dismissed at 2:15pm. Bus kids are escorted by Maplewood staff to their bus.
While kids are encouraged to walk, bike, bus, or use alternative means to get to school, the reality of life, Portland weather & SW Portland’s hilly terrain and lack of sidewalks means that many parents drive their kids to school. Unfortunately, Maplewood school and the surrounding streets are not well set up for dealing with large volumes of traffic and there is limited parking. The following procedures have been developed to help “control the chaos”, and to keep all of our students and their parents safe.
No matter your mode of transportation, please use common sense, keep speeds low, and follow the procedures below:
Morning Drop-off Procedure:
- Students may be dropped off in the designated drop-off areas ONLY. Instructions for dropoff depend which direction you are coming from. See also “For Everyone’s Safety” points below.
- Northbound Drop-Off Area
- The NB drop-off area is accessed from the northbound lane of SW 52nd Ave (i.e., coming from Multnomah Blvd). It is adjacent to the ball field, just north of the building. Do not pull into this drop-off area from the southbound lane.
- There is space in the drop-off area for five cars. Pull all the way forward to let the student out of your vehicle. Student will walk from the curb into the school.
- After the student has left your vehicle, wait for the vehicle in front of you to leave. Follow cautiously out to the northbound lane of SW 52nd Ave only (do not U-turn out of the drop-off area to go south on 52nd).
- Southbound Drop-Off Area
- The SB drop-off area is accessed from the southbound lane of SW 52nd Ave (i.e., coming from Vermont). Turn right into West Hills Church parking lot. Do not pull into this drop-off area from the northbound lane.
- There is space in the drop-off area for three cars. Pull all the way forward to the WELCOME flag and let your student out of your vehicle. Student will walk on the sidewalk (passenger side) or walk on the path adjacent to driveway (drivers side).
- After the student has left your vehicle, wait for the vehicle in front of you to leave. Be cautious of cars exiting the parking spots. Exit the parking lot going north or south on SW 53rd Ave.
Parking During Drop-Off or Pick Up
- If you prefer to park your car and walk a student up to the building (or to collect them after school), parking is available in the parking lot of the West Hills Friends Church across the street from the school or street parking on SW 53rd and SW 54th.
- West Hills Parking – one-way driveway
- Enter the parking lot from the southbound lane of SW 52nd Ave only. No left turn into lot from northbound 52nd. If you are coming north on 52nd, take a left on SW Custer, right on SW 54th, right on SW Nevada, right on SW 52nd (now headed south).
- Use the bark-chip pedestrian path on the south side of the parking lot only. Cross driveway and then SW 52nd when traffic is stopped by crossing guard.
- When leaving, exit the parking lot onto SW 53rd Ave.
- Street Parking
- SW 53rd – use the pedestrian path on the south side of the parking lot (playground). Cross driveway and then SW 52nd when traffic is stopped by crossing guard.
- SW 54th – use the pedestrian path, “Snicket”, that runs between SW 54th and SW 53rd. Cross SW 53rd cautiously and continue on pedestrian path on the south side of the driveway only.
- For Everyone’s Safety:
- SLOW DOWN & PAY ATTENTION! Put your phone and other distractions away while driving (or walking).
- DO NOT turn into West Hills Friends Church from the northbound lane SW 52nd.
- DO NOT allow a student to exit the vehicle in the driving lanes of the road or anywhere other than the designated drop-off areas or the parking areas.
- DO NOT access the NB drop-off area by making a U-turn from the southbound lane of SW 52nd.
- DO NOT make a U-turn when leaving the drop-off area.
- DO NOT leave the drop-off lane before the vehicle in front of you leaves.
- DO NOT park in the area south of the bus unloading area, in the bus unloading area, or in the auction winner space.
- DO NOT drop off a student on SW 51st Ave on the east side of the school property.
- DO NOT enter the West Hills Friends Church parking lot from SW 53rd Ave (unless a pedestrian using the bark chip pathway).
- DO NOT walk on the driveway or parking lot of the West Hills Friends Church. Use pedestrian paths.